Wednesday, April 28, 2010

David Clarke =D


Hi!!

Today I wanna speak you about the archaeologist who I admire. First, I must to say that to decide who is he...was very difficult, because I think there are many archeologists that have done important contributions to the discipline.

Well, I would like present to you to David Clarke, who was driver of "processual archaeology" or "New archaeology" in Europe (it was caracterized by to attemp to rebuild cultural processes).
He born in 1937 in England, and died in 1976. This archeologist studied at Peterhouse, Cambridge, where he was archaeology's teacher years later (information from wikipedia).
David Clarke is an important archaeologist because he introduced the systems theory and quantifications in the application of archaeology, besides he said that the scientific reasoning is essential in this discipline. Due to the above, Clarke is considered the first processual archaeologist in Europe (in USA was Willey and Phillips). Finally, he is known for to say: "the archaeology is archaeology is archaeology" as opposed to what Willey and Phillips said: "the archaology is anthropology, or it is nothing".

This archaeologist likes me, because their contributions to archaeology allowed that years later arose news perspectives in the archaeology like the post-processual archaeology, which was suggested by a Clarke's student (his name is Ian Hodder).

Well, see you soon!
bye =D

1 comment:

  1. Good, Sonia.

    But rocky start. Have a look at this paragraph and see if you can improve it.

    "Today I wanna speak you about the archaeologist who I admire. First, I must to say that to decide who is he...was very difficult, because I think there are many archeologists that have done important contributions to the discipline."

    2 points.

    Paula

    ReplyDelete