Wednesday, June 16, 2010

The Eye of God



Maybe it sounds trite, but one of my favourite photographs is “The eye of God”, which was taken by the Hubble Spacial Telescope in 2004. There are more pictures of this that have been taken by other telescopes as the Very Large Telescope of European Southern Observatory and Wide Field Imager of chilean Observatory La Silla.

This image shows us to the Helix Nebula (also known as NGC 7293 by the scientists), which is ubicated in the constellation of “Aquarius”, it is about 700 light-years from The Earth. Helix is a planetary nebula that formed in the end of a star’s life like the sun and it was discovered by Karl Ludwig Harding before 1824 (probably).

This picture is very famous, and many people love it. I like it because when I see it I feel so small, and it makes me to think that life is so fragile, this because we could dissappear in any time like that star. On the other hand, I think it is a beatiful image, the form taken is amazing. Their colours are impressive too, justly it calls “The eye of God” and really it seems as somebody looks at us.

When I see phenomena like this I think that we don´t need science fiction to see incredible things, just enough seek in the real world. Besides, it makes me ask how many things are there that we can’t to imagine.

Well, I don’t know if this photograph is the most wonderful of the history, probably it isn’t, but I suppose that “The eye of God” is a image that nobody will forget.
I hope like it!!

1 comment: